Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The Heavenly Court (script excerpt)

Going through some of my old Google documents, and I came across this little limestone. I'd started writing a comedy script called Power Struggle. The characters were God, Time, Karma, Nature, etc. This would have been the opening scene.

Interior – Heaven. A courtroom on a cloud.

Several unimportant heavenly characters filter in to witness the first trial held in the afterlife. TIME enters and takes her place at the defense attorney’s bench. HOPE meanders in awkwardly as the bailiff.
HOPE (approaching Time)
Empress?
TIME
(politely) Please don’t call me that. Ever.
HOPE
Sorry. Um…majesty? (TIME doesn’t react) My lady? (she shakes her head) Mistress?
TIME
You must be Hope.
HOPE
Does it show?
TIME
We’ve met before. A long time ago.
HOPE
I have a bad memory.
TIME
Well, that’s why you’re hope.  Call me Dora.
HOPE
Is that your name?
TIME
As far as you know. Yes.
HOPE ponders this as KARMA marches to his desk as the prosecution.
HOPE
But you are the Empress of Time?
TIME
You’re stuck on the word ‘empress’. No, I’m not. I’m the incarnation of time itself. Just like you’re hope and tippy over there is Karma.
HOPE
Yes, but isn’t it more impressive to introduce yourself as Time than by a name?
TIME
Sweetie, nobody up here is capable of being impressed. And in my vast experience, time is treated as the enemy.
HOPE
So you think you might be less disliked with a name?
TIME
One can hope.
HOPE
So what do I do for this thing?
TIME
You’re the bailiff.
HOPE
I know. It’s not like anybody’s going to get out of line.
TIME
Just look pretty and be yourself.
HOPE
But I don’t know what my purpose is.
TIME (to herself)
Nor do I.
HOPE
Do you know what time it is? (TIME gives him a defiant stare) Sorry.
GOD enters dressed in a mock judges robe.
GOD
All rise. The honorable me presiding.
HOPE (quietly to GOD)
Sorry.
GOD
I forgive you. Everybody sit down who wants to. And hey! Let’s give a big round of applause to our resident purgatory ambassador for setting up the first court system in paradise. Thank you Karma for the contamination. Thoughtful.
KARMA
You can berate me all you want…
GOD
May I? Cheerfully accepted.
KARMA
But the fact remains that this court system is legitimate.
GOD
Only in as much as it succeeds.
KARMA
And as long as it does, it deserves to be taken seriously.
GOD
You mean you deserve to be taken seriously. Well let’s see what’s so important to you. (GOD looks at HOPE)
HOPE
Me?
TIME (covering for HOPE)
We have two cases.
HOPE
There’s two cases pending your almightiness.
GOD
Two whole cases. Any chance we can do them at the same time?
HOPE
Are you being sarcastic?
GOD
Usually.
TIME
There’s a class action suit against heaven from the Mormons.
GOD
And they used to love us.
KARMA
Too much.
TIME
It’s actually not so much of a suit as it is a complaint.
GOD
Well what could be more pleasing to the Alpha and Omega than a customer service issue?
TIME
It’s not even a formal complaint. They’re just whining a lot.
KARMA (to TIME, obviously)
Would you just give him the damn folder!
GOD
I know what this is about and the answer is the same now as it always has been. They have to wait in line like everyone else.
KARMA
My clients feel their faith is being insulted.
TIME
Are your clients aware that as soon as they get through the gate, faith is no longer a possibility?
KARMA
But they’re not through the gate.
GOD
So in formulaic terms this case is founded on a premise with an intention to eliminate the premise?
TIME
Your honor, may I?
GOD
We have all the time in the cosmos.
TIME
Faith is being used as a legal rubric, but faith is an ambiguity. If you introduce an ambiguity into any equation, that equation dissolves.
GOD
So we rule the case inadmissible on account of ambiguity.
KARMA
I suppose if you believe the ambiguity is dismissible.
TIME
Oh cute Karma. You’ve managed to put faith on trial.
KARMA
I didn’t plan that out if that’s your insinuation.
TIME
I knew we shouldn’t have agreed to this.
GOD
Calm down Dora. We’re smart entities. Counsel approach the bench.
KARMA (coming forward)
Afraid to have this conversation publicly?
TIME (joining him)
He’s keeping you from looking like a dumbass.
GOD
Guys. Deep breath. Think of puppies. (to KARMA) Now, how do you want this to turn out?
KARMA
I’m not really concerned.
GOD
Then how about we give up on this one.
KARMA
And why would that help you exactly?
GOD
What do you mean?
KARMA
Oh, I thought you knew everything. I mean what do you stand to lose by addressing this case?
TIME
Because faith is a concept. Its power lies in the beholder’s perception.
KARMA
So it’s an illusion.
TIME
It’s a concept. Physicality is an illusion. If you’re asking Heaven’s court to make a concrete statement about an abstraction the abstraction becomes powerless.
GOD
So introducing a constant into an ambiguity turns that ambiguity into an equation?
TIME
I’m trying to help.
GOD
I know. And you have. (to court) Let all complaints be handled by the main gate. (bangs gavel)
KARMA
So you’re dismissing the case?
GOD
No, I’m ruling that anyone who reaches the front of the line has the option of standing outside of paradise and complaining until second Armageddon if that’s truly what they feel needed.
KARMA
Wonderful. So now there's a little matter of a counter suit.
TIME
A counter suit from whom?
KARMA
From the court.
GOD
This court?
KARMA
No. The four square court. Counter suing for time wasted.
TIME
Objection.
GOD
Sustained.
KARMA
On what grounds?
GOD
To make you mad.
KARMA
Are there legal grounds for sustaining the objection?
TIME
Aside from you suing your own client?
KARMA
Is Heaven really going to limit itself by semantics?
GOD
All right, I’ll humor you. What is it you feel will shut you up?
KARMA
I think they should go to the back of the line.
TIME
For complaining?
KARMA
In paradise.
GOD
So that’s what this whole court system is about. You. Fair enough. This case is being held over until the defense is available to testify on their behalf.
HOPE
Won’t they already be through the line then?
GOD
I suppose so. (bangs gavel)
TIME (to KARMA)
Dumbass.
GOD
Well, that was Psalm worthy. Moving on to item two.
TIME
It’s another class action suit. People versus the Holy Ghost.
GOD
Well they wouldn't be people unless they were versus something.
KARMA
People feel that the Holy Ghost’s freedom to observe anyone at any moment is an invasion of privacy.
GOD
Isn't spot checking the Ghost's job?
KARMA
The people demand that the Ghost’s activities be limited to churches and temples.
GOD
Sure because nobody does anything wrong there. How about we go with the same verdict. Held over until the accused gets here.
TIME
My client is here your honor.
GOD
I don’t see your client.
TIME
That’s because my client is invisible. You know that.
GOD
Yes, all you had to do was keep your mouth shut and we could be out of here.
TIME
Sorry.
GOD
Fine. Holy Ghost, you’ve been charged with…existing. How do you plead?
TIME (after a moment)
My client pleads no contest.
GOD
So you’re the only one who can hear your client.
TIME
Actually, I was just guessing.
GOD
Okay, we’ve got a plea of no contest. No contest, no debate. No debate, no examination. No results. No evidence. No bargain. No show. Novena. No deposit. No return. Case dismissed on grounds of inanity.
KARMA
Hang on. The case is People, all inclusively, versus Heaven's imaginary friend. If you’re not listening to this what are you listening to?
GOD
Listening or responding? Have it your way. Make it an eighteen dollar fine.
TIME
My client probably wants to know what for.
GOD
Failure to appear in court. Happy? (bangs gavel) Who's up for sloping?
The entire courtroom goes dark.
GOD
What is this, the end of the world again?

No comments:

Post a Comment