Sunday, June 1, 2014

Food Network Star Week One

Hopefully this blog won't be a bust.

I say that because the opening episode was kind of boring. Yeah, I get that we're just getting to know the contestants, but in past seasons you usually are left with a pretty solid sense of who the real contenders are, who the villains are, you've chosen a favorite, etc.

Two contestants stood out to me tonight. The first was Lenny the gourmet cowboy or however it was he identified himself. I'm not really rooting for him per se, or even against him, but he showed a solid blend of confidence, talent and human ability to screw up that if he'd been in past seasons he could have really shined.

And that taps into the basic problem that I'm already seeing with this season, the ten contestants that didn't stand out...um...didn't stand out. They may as well be interchangeable. They all seem pleasant, happy to be there, and unmemorable. I guess, except for Emma who I'll always remember as being the one who should have been sent home tonight for being exceptionally unmemorable.

But let's talk about Donna, who was sent home and was frankly the only other contestant who caught my attention. She started off very likeable and was quickly claiming my spiritual support. Then she took the stage. Dear God, she took the stage. I'm a bit sad that Ross Matthews nailed it with his comparison of her presence to musical theater because I was really looking forward to making that point myself.

Thanks Ross. You ruined my blog. Don't get me wrong, you're awesome. But you ruined my blog.

But suffice to say, I didn't think Donna should have been kicked. It's a lot easier to tone someone down that to pump someone up, which is why Emma should have gone home. Donna had personality. Maybe a little too much. But when she was doing her personal reflections to the camera, I felt she was really quite genuine. She may have been a contender, or a villain, it was too early of a call. I suppose there's always the Star Salvation, but I'm not banking on her.

So at this point my guess is there's not an agenda from the Food Network this year. They've gathered arguably the most attractive group of contestants I've seen (even generically so) and considering the dynamics aren't really present, at least not out of the gate, perhaps the Food Network doesn't even care who wins.

Perhaps.

The wild card this year is Chad Rosenthal and Martie Duncan competing in the Star Salvation, both being fan favorites. Well, Chad was. Supposedly Martie was as well, but she made it to an audience vote and wasn't selected.

All things considered, I would not be surprised if Chad took it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment