Friday, September 18, 2015

Short Story Week: Day Six -The Protagonist

Another shorter piece today (I had a little bit of a scheduling back up). This was a slightly revised version of my first Flash Fiction story from 2008 or 2009, I forget which. I'll admit I was never entirely happy with the result, but it had been a long time since I'd attempted writing short stories so I was in experimental territory.


The Protagonist

It was a dark and stormy night.

Of course it was.

The past three nights have been a dark and stormy night. I don't know what tropical catastrophe is pummeling this side of the planet but it's really hitting hard tonight. It's like the final throes of some congestive disease. And I have to drive through it.

Thank God I know where I'm going. I'd have my fender in somebody's mailbox by now if I couldn't drive this stretch blindfolded. In fact, tonight I am. I can't see more than ten feet ahead every alternate streak of the windshield wipers. At least there are no other cars out here. They all know better. At least I assume there's no one out here. In the maelstrom, I wouldn't be able to see another car if it was made out of a neon sign.

Wait. What's that? Is that a cop? There are flashing lights about fifty yards back. I can't hear a siren. I can't hear anything but rain pounding on the hull of my car. Wow, I can see a lot further behind me than ahead. Maybe I should drive backwards the rest of the way.

Where is the intersection? I'm going thirty miles below the speed limit because I can't see a damn thing except for car fifty-four behind me. What is he doing back there? There's no one out here but me and I'm not speeding. I think he's getting closer. Dude! Where do you think I can pull over? I could be in the oncoming traffic lane for all I know.

That's the bridge. I felt it. And here's my turn off the main stretch. Did I just hit the curb or was that a branch? I don't care. Officer disco lights can have the main road to do whatever he thinks is so important out here. I'm out of the equation. And none too soon either, he was about to rear end me.

At least this portion of the road has no trees to deal with. No branches. I can go a little faster here. There's gravel on both sides of this highway. I'll feel it if my tires leave the road.

He's back? You've got to be kidding me! He can't be trying to pull me over. Maybe he is. They'll pull you over for anything. Speeding, not speeding, having a light out, having a phone, having a dog in the front seat. When they want to give you a citation they'll find something. Maybe I should just stop here and let them go around me. Maybe not. If his vision is as bad as mine he could plow into me.

There's no siren. Just lights. That's not a cop. What is that? Is that a fire engine? Why would a fire engine be out here out here? It's not like anything could be on fire.

Damn it! I missed the curve! Now I'm on that dirt road that isn't really a road and sure as hell isn't dirt anymore! Son of-come on, don't get stuck.

And the fire engine made the turn that I wanted. Thanks for running me off the road! Rescue vehicle jackass!

I'm not familiar with this excuse for a trail. I must be going two miles an hour now. So I should be back to the main stretch by September. Good. El Nino should have cleared up by then.

Damn it! I felt that! I don't want to know what it was, but I think water is getting in through the bottom of the door. This road is turning into a creek. The water level is pretty deep. The engine is screaming at me but I can't help it. I can't stop, or the car will flood.

And my feet are wet. Is that from sweat or is the rain seeping in? If the water touches something electrical in the car can you get electrocuted?

I didn't even notice that the rain had slowed. I can see. A little. Not much. A tiny bit. But at least I know I'm still moving forward. For a second I couldn't tell if the tires were spinning in mud.

I saw the moon. It was only a moment but it was there. And it's comforting. Is that ridiculous? Am I decidedly naive to feel better seeing the moon peek through this tsunami? It's probably laughing at me but it's nice to know it's actually taken notice.

Oh good. Lightning now. Thanks for not hitting the- Wow! That was loud! Where is the damn road?
Is that it? I can't tell. I think it's a road, but I don't recognize it. It's got to go somewhere.

Now I have no idea where I am. And I can't see again. No moon. Just rain and lightn- Shit! That was close!
Okay, am I on the road? Am I near a road? It feels like road beneath my tires. It's never felt so good to be on a flat surface; water splashing the underbelly of the car. With God as my witness, I'm never going to drive again.

...

Is that what I think it is?

Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Those damn flashing lights! I can't see! I'm sliding! I'm going to hit! Brakes! Where are the brakes? I can't-

...

It's raining. Inside. The car.

I feel it pouring down my face. Rain and something else.

The lights are still flashing. I can see now. It's an ambulance. Of course it would be an ambulance. I've been run off the road by a damned ambulance.

The rain is almost deafening, pounding, but not quite. It grants me a window to hear final words before the rain puts me to sleep.

A voice.

From inside this mobile emergency unit.

Politely explains.

"Sorry, but we're looking for somebody else."

No comments:

Post a Comment