Monday, September 14, 2015

Short Story Week: Day Two -A Glass of Wine

This story is a fairly recent idea. I tried writing it two years ago for the Hoover Library's Flash Fiction Night, but I kept losing interest when writing the description sections. So today I decided to do it entirely in dialogue format. I'm much happier with the result.

A Glass of Wine

"You sent for me, Your Majesty?"

"I did, Lord Moulton. Thank you for such a prompt response."


"How could I resist being Her Majesty's first audience? An honor indeed."

"Quite."


"It was a lovely coronation. The finest since Queen Augustina herself."

"Your seventh, I believe?"


"Sadly, yes. I never fully expressed my condolences for your father. He was a wise man."

"That he was. Unfortunately, someone was wiser."


"The Royal Family has many enemies."

"Lord Moulton, may I confide in you?"


"Of course."

"I am frightened."


"Even royal blood is prone to humanity, although it should never be witnessed in the courtyard."

"Agreed. I'm considering appointing a liaison to make appearances in my place."


"Far be it from me to question Her Majesty's decrees..."

"I did not summon you here for you to hold your tongue. I'm aware you believe me inexperienced and unfit to rule. And in the shadow of my father's passing, I feel the true weight of your words."


"So my counsel then?"

"Would you care for a glass of wine, Lord Moulton?"


"Allow me, Your Majesty."

"No, I insist. My father used to say 'All great journeys begin with a glass of wine'."


"The Gentle Rose is one of the finest blends in the known world. A perfect beginning."

"The bottle is a gift. One I've been apprehensive to open."


"As you should be, Your Majesty. But that particular bottle is a 1238 vintage, which I can personally vouch for. I have one in my case at home."

"Lord Moulton, as late as six months ago your opinion of me was untethered. You thought me whimsical. And, what was it?"


"Naive. Yes. A lovely trait for a child. But those who sit on the throne must be willing to do terrible things. Innocence is the first of many sacrifices."

"But when my father was killed, your opinion changed?"


"I withheld my opinion out of respect."

"You also became very supportive of my reign. One might question such a change in stance."


"The wake of tragedy reveals much about a person's character. Even to one's self. Occasionally, one such as yourself grows into the crown. Far be it from me to stand in the way."

"And what think you of me now? Still naive?"


"You're very young. Idealistic. Your father's assassin has been apprehended and you still allow him to draw breath in his prison."

"I have unanswered questions."


"Answers are often the second sacrifice. The crown calls to action."
"And that call is mine alone."


"To unanswered questions then."
"Lord Moulton, what would you do, were you in my position?"


"I'd drink from my goblet. The Gentle Rose is quite divine."

"The man in jail. He maintains his innocence."


"Of course he does. People lie. Especially to the crown. It's a game, your majesty. Your longevity depends on your skill. And how quickly you learn to play."

"Games are not something I find myself aligned with."


"Then I suggest you find someone who is. And appoint that man to be your Royal Liaison."

"That man? Someone such as yourself, Lord Moulton?"


"I would. It's best for everyone. There's no shame. Why not in ten days you make your appointment. I could open my bottle of 1238 Gentle Rose and we can raise a glass of wine to a great journey together."

"I'm afraid that won't be possible, Lord Moulton. This is your bottle of 1238 Gentle Rose."


"..."

"I see."
"..."

"I was saving this for you."
"..."
 "I've misjudged you. A pity really. Perhaps my approach was a miscalculation."

"An alliance between us could never have lasted."

"I suppose not. But what a wonderful, short journey it could have been. Will you still be looking for a liaison then?"

"No. I feel I may grow quite fond of my speaking appearances."


"I respectfully retract my previous comments, Your Majesty. You're ready. And the throne will suit you."

"Please know that your words are gratefully received. I'll not forget them."


"Well if you're not going to drink yours, there's no sense in wasting the vintage."

"Indeed."


"To your longevity, My Queen."

"And to your memory."

No comments:

Post a Comment