Monday, October 10, 2016

The Zodiac's Labyrinth (The Signs Point the Way)

I hadn't tried doing a puzzle lately, and I thought this might be a fun experiment. For the record, I really don't foresee a future in puzzle design, but it is pretty gratifying when something I concoct holds together at all.

Enjoy!


You find yourself in darkness. You know not why, or how. There are no answers.

In front of you, two dots of a green glow appear and begin to illuminate your surroundings. They appear to be the eyes of a huge stone face. Moments later you can make out the features of a beard carved into the rock and a large gaping tunnel where the open mouth is. You're not certain, but you feel as though there may be something, or several somethings, slithering on the walls and floor around you.

A deep voice enters your head. "Greetings friend. I am Ophiuchus, the Serpent Bearer. And you are on the wrong side of the Zodiac."

Before you can so much as react, even less respond, the voice continues:

"I cannot help you. I can only show you your path's beginning. You must make your way to the end. Take only one careless step and the serpents will devour you."

And the voice is silent.

Your eyes have adjusted to the darkness enough now to understand that Ophiuchus was correct. There are serpents all around you, moving closer. The only safe path is through the mouth of the statue. Without another thought, you dive through.

1. Aries (the Ram) Fire Sign: Cycle One

Have we not met before? The flow of time is so peculiar in this place. That tunnel right there is the only way out of my chamber, and the number at the beginning of the passage tells you exactly which sign it takes you to. Although come to think of it, every time someone walks through the passage, that number flips upside down. When that happens, surely it must lead to a different sign. Well, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

2. Taurus (the Bull) Earth Sign: Cycle One

You've found me. Or I've found you. It matters not. You may very well wander aimlessly for all I care, because you lack volition. My advice? Commit. Whenever you go from one sign of an element to a second sign of the same element, ignore all instructions and go immediately to the third sign in that element. Now off with you! Back to the beginning with Aries! And don't let me find you again.

3. Gemini (the Twins) Air Sign: Cycle One

Now think carefully. I'm the twins. Which sign has the number that looks the most like me? Go there.

4. Cancer (the Crab) Water Sign: Cycle One

Oh, I mustn't impose. Please continue your path. I shouldn't think I'd even know which way to direct you. There are so many paths to choose from. If I were you, I would stay right here, where it's safe and secure. But if you insist on venturing forth, I would recommend you take the most well-traveled route, and visit the sign that your journey will take you to with the most frequency. Yes, that would be the safest way.

5. Leo (the Lion) Fire Sign: Cycle Two

Lie: I'm gone. If that were true, who would be left?

6. Virgo (the Maiden) Earth Sign: Cycle Two

There have, in several circumstances, lay undertones evading illumination -secrets implying negotiation concerning our natural susceptibility; engaging quandaries unquestioning, eventually needing to interpret acronyms literally. Please move on to the next sign.

7. Libra (the Scales) Air Sign: Cycle Two

Welcome! I feel certain we know each other by now. All things have a balance, including your path. Where you've come from must balance where you're going, but only to a point. What sign have you just come from? Take its first letter, and find the other sign with its match. That's where you must go. Unless you've come from an unmatched sign like Gemini. In that case you may use the 'L' in my name to move to Leo. Until we meet again!

8. Scorpio (the Scorpion) Water Sign: Cycle Two

The Scorpion is a creature of sadness. Some beings grow bitter through time and experience, but the Scorpion is born with venom coursing through its body. It understands not why. It only understands its ability to harm, intentional or inadvertent. There is only one living creature amongst the skies constellations fully protected from the Scorpion's needle. Please give my love to my only friend.

9. Sagittarius (the Archer) Fire Sign: Cycle Three

Yes! Tis I, the Archer! Bedecked in mine warrior's garb, I'll smite mine enemies with impeccable skill! I brave hordes of foes with arrows of legend calibrated to precisely meet their quintain! And with mine triumph thusly serenaded, I have shown thee, dear traveler, thine succeeding target! Three times, no less!

10. Capricorn (the Goat) Earth Sign: Cycle Three

Listen up! Rule of Four! I can give you the power to use the Rule of Four. What's the Rule of Four? Let's say you visit three signs in the SAME cycle (one, two, or three) in a row. Rule of Four dictates you go immediately to the fourth sign in that cycle. Now I'm sign 10, which means I've got 10. I can let you borrow 4 to use the Rule of Four one time, but that leaves me with 6 and the only way out will lead you to sign 6. If I see you again, I can give you 4 more, but the way out changes accordingly. If I see you a third time, you're stuck here forever. Sorry.

11. Aquarius (the Water-Bearer) Air Sign: Cycle Three

I am the Water-Bearer, who bears water, yet I am not a water sign. You may wonder why I bear the element of others and not my own. Alas, in doing so you would be mistaken. For if you look closely, you will find my element scattered within my very name. In fact, only one other sign shares the distinction of bearing its own element in its name. And it is to that sign you must now go.

12. Pisces (the Fish) Water Sign: Cycle Three

Congratulations! You stayed on the path. But your journey is not complete. On behalf of the celestial circle I wish you momentum and persistence. Farewell traveler, and remember: the stars will always guide you.

No comments:

Post a Comment