Thursday, December 29, 2016

2016 Movie Wrap-Up

It's really hard to crawl to the finish line of 2016 without feeling a combination of bitterness and defeat. There are a lot of entertainers we've lost who will be missed, (Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds, Joe Alaskey, Andrew Sachs); as well as others (Prince will never have my respect). And we head into the new year in the shadow of gloom (I continue to be ashamed of my country). But as always, I take temporary comfort in the medication of the cinema, which should at least withstand collapsing under its weight until the middle of 2018. So let's look back at what films I've seen this year and what I thought.


Movies

Deadpool

I liked it. I'm glad Ginny liked it. It's a pity Roger Ebert is no longer with us because I would love to have heard his take on it, as he (at least) once asserted that any film which is clearly a labor of love would always be interesting. Deadpool is a labor of love from everyone involved in it; although none more so than Ryan Reynolds who took a pay cut to get the damn thing greenlit. It was maybe a little too frat-boyish for me to have loved it myself, but I really did like it. I'm glad it saw about thirteen times its return investment.

Zootopia

Animated films really seem to be knocking it out of the park lately, and this anthropomorphic social commenting buddy cop whodunit hits way more bulls-eyes than you would ever have expected it to be aiming for. I'm not sure what era in family films we're technically in right now, but I'm grateful for the complexity of the story lines and the characters' emotional layers.

Batman v Superman

I covered this one fairly well last spring, but really quickly I think people were way too hard on the film. Yeah, there were moments that rubbed me the wrong way, but those were just moments. The rest of it I thought was quite good. Maybe not great, and maybe our expectations were so high that anything shy of great would feel like a massive letdown (or maybe we expected it to fail and honed in on the aforementioned moments) but I think the film deserves to be accepted as quite good.

Captain America: Civil War

Probably not quite on par with Winter Soldier but it certainly redeemed the 'meh' feeling with which I left Age of Ultron. I think we all had some concern going into it that the MCU may have peaked already, but this is a good sign that the Russo brothers are the right drivers to take us to The Infinity Wars and beyond.

The Jungle Book

This was good, although I'm still confused as to why people were going on and on about it. It's certainly done well, but aside from the obvious cash grab it never really justifies itself. I think Disney's live-action remakes are probably going to wear out their welcomes before they strike that golden chord.

X-Men: Apocalypse

In terms of a fun superhero beat 'em up, this movie hits all the right notes. It's an enjoyable roller coaster. But when it's over, it doesn't feel like it was about anything. In something like the Spiderman franchise this isn't an issue, but X-Men has always stayed a few crucial steps closer to the realm of drama. So I liked it a lot even if I can't help but notice the mission statement seems to be out of focus.

Now You See Me 2

I missed the first movie until earlier this year and wound up really liking it. The sequel is more of the same with a little more emphasis on the unrealistic qualities (that card swapping scene goes on three times as long as it needs to) and the inclusion of a female character who has more to do than just her introduction (you owe Isla Fisher an apology). Even if the story never feels genuine it's a nice, if occasionally silly, romp. A third act is encouraged.

Ghostbusters

I did a whole blog on this movie, but here's the highlights. This movie was good with more moments of greatness than sloppiness. The backlash was unreal; think Batman v Superman mixed with misogyny. The film was geared for a sequel, but the anti-fan reaction was enough for Columbia to shelve it. That's disappointing, but I can't blame them. The internet assholes don't deserve a sequel.

Batman: The Killing Joke

I wanted it to be better than it was. Acts two and three follow the source material closely enough to make it worth a watch; there will NEVER be a Batman/Joker chemistry stronger than Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. But it also never adapts itself into its own life. If you've read the comic once you know every single beat. And then there's the opening act which has some solid ideas if you edit out Bruce and Barbara's sex scene. But it doesn't fit into the main story properly, it's like watching one episode of the Animated Series followed by a second extended episode. Come on Bruce Timm, you can do way better than that.

Suicide Squad

Speaking of doing better- I've heard several people claim this was the DC Universe's third strike. I disagree. They're getting on base (to milk the analogy) but they aren't scoring yet. There's a lot of fun to be had with this movie even if it comes off as the b-side of Batman: Assault on Arkham. Flawed, yes. But I think it's better than anything from the Burton/Schumacher era and way more enjoyable than The Dark Knight Rises.

Doctor Strange

I was impressed with this movie. The Doc really couldn't have shown up prior to the third phase of the MCU, but the series has earned this Inception leveled trippiness. The best part is the visual effects never abandon the audience. We're dealing with magic, and the script gives us enough information to keep us engaged but not so much that we have to start taking notes. It fits together better than Ant-Man, it maintains its pace through act three in a way that Iron Man didn't, and unlike Guardians of the Galaxy I actually cared about the characters. So bravo.

Office Christmas Party

I covered this one a two posts ago. Yay Kate McKinnon, boo raunchy humor, 1980's 9 to 5 was honestly the last movie where marijuana mattered. Quit treating it like it's edgy Hollywood, it's mundane.

Rogue One

I'll be blunt, this standalone movie doesn't stand alone. Not that anyone who sees it won't be familiar with the story it's supplementing but I think it's worth acknowledging that the film requires outside knowledge for access. So while it's not solid or even necessary, as a 'from a certain point of view' deleted feature it has a lot working in its favor. Prior to Rogue One, the Star Wars franchise has been about a clear good versus a clear evil. But war is much greyer and dirtier than that dichotomy, and it gives the main story a needed kick in the shin. Rogue One may not be a diamond, but it's a damn fine topaz. That sits much prettier than the glass marbles of the prequel trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment